A large pedestrianised island to pacify the area around the Mercat de Sant Antoni
The creation of a large pedestrianised island in the area around the Mercat de Sant Antoni is the most significant initiative in the municipal government measure by the Eixample District. The aim is to preserve public space, neighbourhood life and local commerce in the area. The junction, which will define the market in the Sant Antoni neighbourhood, will gradually be established in the next few months and will be completed in 2019.
In the first stage, action will affect C/ Tamarit along the section between C/ Comte d’Urgell and C/ Comte Borrell, and the latter, between C/ Tamarit and C/ Manso. A second stage will see action extended in C/ Comte Borrell in the section between C/ Tamarit and C/ Floridablanca, and in C/ Tamarit, in the section between C/ Comte Borrell and C/ Viladomat. The aim is for the whole zone to be pedestrianised before the remodelled market opens again.
The government measure, which complements the initiative presented on 27 February to organise activities in public spaces around the Mercat de Sant Antoni, includes a total of 25 actions in the spheres of public space, economic promotion, employment and commerce, housing and facilities. The most notable actions are as follows:
- Remodel public space and promote cultural and community activities in the small squares along Av. Paral·lel.
- Open the new interior space at the block formerly housing the Cinema Urgell.
- Roll out the Urban Mobility Plan in Sant Antoni and the new bus network.
- Work with associations to define the new Ronda Sant Antoni, in conjunction with the district of Ciutat Vella.
- Suspend licences of plots of land designated for facilities in order to promote public and social housing in the neighbourhood.
- Extend and consolidate education and community facilities in the neighbourhood.