Mission: Aimed at strengthening social cohesion through the recognition of the right to cultural practices and the promotion of community action in Barcelona's neighbourhoods.
Presentation date: June 2021
Lines of action:
1. Implementation of the 2021-2023 Civic Centres Plan.
2. The consolidation, enhancement and broadening of the scope of the Cultura Viva [Living Culture] programme, through the expansion of projects and networks that currently include the promotion of new cultural projects in the community.
3. Implementation of the EQUICOM programme (local facilities as the driving force for community action) with the aim of ensuring the inclusion of a community perspective.
4. Promotion of the Neighbourhood Plan’s cultural strategy. In this regard, the ICUB, the IMEB and the Barcelona Education Consortium have produced a joint strategy for transforming education which means that culture is included in education centres and in other non-formal educational facilities and community meeting places.
5. Promotion of artistic creativity within the community by means of new tools and workspaces, in order to organise and structure the support and promotion of these practices.
6. Development of the Connections programme as part of ’Ampliem espais’ [Broadening Spaces]. At the beginning of the 2020-2021 academic year, it was necessary to adapt public spaces and the use of halls and facilities so that schools could continue to function.
7. Consolidation and expansion of activities in public spaces within all the ICUB's cultural programmes and major events. The aim is to consolidate the current decentralisation approach in squares and other public spaces in various neighbourhoods, as part of the programme for the Open City Biennial of Thought, the City and Science Biennale, the Mercè Festival, etc.
Mission: To promote the right to creativity and cultural production under conditions that respect the socio-occupational dignity of those working in the cultural sector, seeking to mitigate structural precariousness, supporting creative processes, promoting new forms of interaction between stakeholders, and ensuring access for a wider range of audiences.
Presentation date: November 2021
Lines of action:
1. Putting into practice a new grant programme to boost creation and innovation in cultural practices.
2. The opening of Barcelona’s Casa de la Música, to be located in what is currently known as Sala Barts.
3. Creation of a new artistic residency plan, with the number of places rising from 5 to 20.
4. Design of the programme for the 2024 Manifesta Art Biennial.
5. Production of new tools to support artistic creation and experimentation at a professional level, through the city's network of creation factories.
6. Reformulation of the ICUB subsidy and grant application campaigns.
7. Creation of new public support mechanisms for artistic and cultural research and experimentation processes.
8. Implementation of a training planaimed at professionals working in the cultural sector, focusing on issues relating to management, business models, entrepreneurship and innovation.
9. Continued development of the new Citizens Office for Culture.
10. Promotion of the programme Baixos de Protecció Oficial Cultural, that will make it possible for workshops, spaces for cultural work, rehearsals, or the exhibition of small and medium-scale artistic activities to access street-level premises at affordable rents.
11. Creation of a Live Culture Venue category.
12. Expansion of the Barcelona Districte Cultural programme, aimed at increasing programming and expanding spaces for participation.
13. Design and roll-out of an official communication campaignto publicise the city's small, local venues and facilities on the exhibition circuitand to provide them with support.
14. Introduction of the REC (Citizen Economic Resource) cultural complementary currency for participation in the city's cultural activities.
15. Development of the Casa de l'Aigua cultural projectfor artistic creation and production in the fields of music and technology.
16. Renewal of the Barcelona Culture Council.
17. Promoting the provisions of the guide to social public procurement developed by Barcelona City Council in 2016, and strengthening commitment to the goals of social justice, environmental sustainability, and a code of ethics with regard to public spending.
Mission: To strengthen and consolidate the right to popular and traditional cultural practices, incorporating new vectors that foster diversity, interculturality, citizen participation and innovation.
Date of presentation: 2021
Lines of action:
1. Creation of amunicipal coordination areafor the monitoring of municipal programmes, resources and actions in the fields of interculturality, feminism and education in popular culture.
2. Drawing up a calendarof popular cultural festivities that reflects cultural diversity, and the holding of remembrance and commemorative events that foster the recognition of different cultural realities.
3. Creation of apopular culture programme for cultural facilities that promotes cultural diversity from an intercultural perspective.
4. Designing educational programmes for local cultural facilities, focusing on diversity and cultural mediation.
5. Initiating the process of reflection and debate that is needed to update the network model, the mission and the values of the Cases de la Festa.
6. The creation of an information system based on specific indicators in the field of popular cultures, which highlights participation, diversity and intercultural dialogue.
7. Designing specific programmes in the field of popular culture that aim to combat racism, exclusion, discrimination, and stigmatisation on the grounds of cultural or religious diversity, origin, gender, functional diversity, age, etc.
8. Designing specific initiatives for the recognition of the popular culture and historical rights of the Roma people.
9. Development of a programme of measures for the recognition of minority ethnic groups.
10. Creation and promotion of a working group for major annual festivals that includes various municipal areas and districts.
11. Standardisation of criteria and administrative processesby type of event, with regard to the application for licences and permits for the use of public spaces.
Mission: To foster the right to cultural practices and artistic education throughout people's lives, through the creation of a cross-cutting public policy in the sphere of culture and education.
Presentation date: December 2021
Lines of action:
1. As part of the Neighbourhood Plan, the expansion of programmes that link culture and education via the “Caixa d’eines” [Toolbox] programme, with the aim of facilitating the involvement of local organisations and promoting educational transformation and equity in the centres where educational needs are greatest.
2. Bringing the ‘Temps d’art’ [Time for Art] pilot project to schools in order to promote interdisciplinary artistic practices and creativity during school time.
3. Extending municipal programmes that promote artistic creation processes in schools (En Residència, Tot Dansa, Escena Pilot) making at least one of these available in each of the city's state-run secondary schools.
4. Promoting the Programa d’acompanyaments i vinculacionsin city schools offering performing arts and visual arts baccalaureates. This programme, aimed at the sixteen secondary schools that offer these baccalaureate programmes, establishes links with cultural facilities and events in the city in order to contribute to the pupils' education.
5. Introduction of a programme providing support for organisations and facilities and help for families, with the aim of promoting extracurricular artistic and cultural activities.
6. Increasing the number of municipal music and art schools, in which music, theatre and dance all provide opportunities for direct forms of expression.
7. Promotion of support activities for educational centres and musical awareness projects at a community level that are linked to cultural facilities such as civic centres, neighbourhood centres and youth centres, and above all the promotion of projects withstate schools, mainstream schools and nursery schools.
8. Transformation of the models and teams for educational services and programmes in cultural centres, fostering recognition and raising awareness of the central role that they play.
9. Promotion of ongoing programmes that link cultural centres with nearby educational centres.
Mission: To integrate the gender perspective into Barcelona's cultural policies; to foster the right to equal participation and the representation of diverse cultural identities from a feminist perspective, incorporating the gender perspective in all areas of the city's cultural policies.
Presentation date: March 2022
Lines of action:
1. To broaden the indicators for cultural practices and public management with a gender perspective. It is necessary to generate data segregated by gender in all centres controlled by the City Council.
2. To train municipal staff as well as the staff of cultural institutions, consortiums, and facilities. In coordination with the Directorate of Gender Services and Time Policies, acompulsory training programme will be created for all staff, with content adapted to each person's role.
3. Application of the gender perspective in the selection criteria for the recruitment of ICUB’s internal staff,and of personnel in the facilities and organisations in which it participates, as well as in the case of internal promotions, especially managerial positions.
4. The creation of a Gender Mainstreaming Unit as part of the ICUB, in order to guarantee the correct application of all changes and internal protocols, with the aim of applying the gender perspective to all municipal actions.
5. The creation of agender commission within the Culture Council.
6. Including the gender perspective in the assessment of grants, subsidies, and financial aid.
7. Producing gender impact reports for gender-sensitive expenditure programmes, and ensuring cultural budgets that include this perspective.
8. Guaranteeing thevisibility of the creativity and work of female artists and professionals by making parity parameters a requirement in all cultural programmes in which the City Council is involved.
9. Promoting and supporting the feminist narrativein cultural programming for public centres and city festivals, as well as in centres where service provision is outsourced, and in consortium institutions in which the City Council is one of the participating administrations.
10. Drawing up a protocol on sexual and gender-based harassment for all facilities, projects, programmes and festivals run by the City Council, or in which the City Council is involved.
11. Incorporation of the gender perspective in all educational activities carried out as part of municipal cultural programmes, or at municipal cultural facilities.
12. Ensuring the monitoring of the guidelines established in the City Council's Inclusive Communication Guide for all communication actions (internal and external) that are carried out at the Institute of Culture, or at any of the facilities, projects or organisations with which it is involved.
Mission: To promote sustainable actions that guarantee these rights within the city; to promote public spaces as one of the main stages for the city's cultural life, and sustainable cultural participation.
Presentation date: May 2022
Lines of action:
1. Implementation of cultural programmes and interventions in the city's superblocks (cultural superblocks).
2. Progress in the development of municipal urban planning that includes a cultural perspective. This cultural perspective has already been taken into account in some recent urban transformations: e.g. in the design of new parks such as the one in Glòries.
3. Application of thenew regulations on street music. Based on the experience of regulating music in the street, we are studying the possibility of extending the by-law to promote other types of artistic and cultural events in public spaces, such as dance, theatre, circus, etc.
4. Creation of a programme to foster and support urban art. The launch of the“El Cilindre d’Horta” Centre for Urban Art and Creativity as both a point of reference and as a driving force for this artistic movement in the city.
5. Development of the Línia Cultural Rambla programme with the launch of Ràdio Rambles and Àgores Rambles.
6. Extending the physical space of cultural facilities, and creating links with public spaces.
7. Producing a programme of cultural initiatives geared towards disseminating information and raising awareness about the climate emergency.
8. Consolidation and roll-out of the ICUB's cultural programmes in public spaces - such as the Mercè festivities, the Science and Thought Biennials and literary festivals - in order to guarantee access for all city residents.
Mission: To promote digital rights based on the uses of new technologies, as a fundamental way of guaranteeing the right to participation, transparency and access to cultural content.
Presentation date: June 2022
Lines of action:
1. Launching acitizens’ laboratory. This project has been launched at the Canòdrom through the Ateneu d’Innovació Digital i Democràtica [Digital and Democratic Innovation Centre].
2. The promotion of collaborative projects between the artistic world and scientific and research institutions.
3. The development of transparency protocols and open data within the municipal administration. The City Council and the Institute of Culture now have open data that can be consulted by the general public. However, it is necessary to go one step further in improving protocols, in order to facilitate greater access to, and use of, the data.
4. The creation of new educational mechanisms specifically designed for primary and secondary schools, with the aim of reinforcing the right to information by stressing the importance of approaching it with a critical eye.
5. Fostering open data in the collections and projects of public cultural institutions, consortiums and trustees, and ensuring public access to them.
6. Promoting the creation of adigital, open-source municipal platform.
7. Reinforcing the Open Archives programme to ensure that city residents have access to cultural content and data on cultural facilities, and that this data can easily be reused.
8. The drafting of amunicipal digital rights charter, in line with documents currently approved or being drafted in other European cities.
9. Guaranteeing that thePublic Money - Public Coderule is applied. This ensures that software developed with public funds is open source.
10. Promoting good Internet connections in local facilities. The aim of this line is to homogenise internet connections by installing fibre optic cables in all neighbourhood centres.
11. Fostering the use of the Decidim platform in thenew governance modelsfor the city's cultural facilities.
Mission: To support the city's major museum and heritage facilities as key spaces in the coordination and promotion of all cultural rights, and to foster strategies that will stimulate new dynamics with regard to access, creativity, community action and territorial links.
Presentation date: March 2022
Lines of action:
1. Consolidation of the“Education and Museums” committee.
2. The creation of ongoing programmes to strengthen the relationship between schools and museums, and also encouraging exchange and interaction between professionals in both fields.
3. Fostering the creation of community relations and mediation services.
4. Introduction of the Gender and Museums Plan currently being drafted, in all areas of the work carried out by museums and at an organisational level.
5. Implementation of the Àgora Ciutadana programme, a permanent space for consultation and the exchange of knowledge at a local, community-participation level.
6. Consolidation of cross-cutting, metropolitan projects (In Museu, Museum Night, Barcelona Dibuixa, etc.) and the creation of new projects.
7. Solid, ongoing collaboration between museums and existing communities of memoryin the city.
8. Implementation of the pilot project ‘Creation Day Centres (residencies)’ in three city museums, as laboratories for creativity and research based on a re-reading of Barcelona's cultural heritage.
9. Consolidation and expansion of the Creation and Museums programme.
10. Development of the Patrimoni BCN [BCN Heritage] platformas a virtual space for accessing information about the city's museums and heritage facilities and their content.
11. Full implementation of the BCN Open Heritage programme, as a tool for disseminating heritage collections and as a gateway for public access.
12. Drafting the project for the new Municipal Museums Collections Reserve,a space for common uses and services relating to the conservation and preservation of heritage, training plans and a platform for collaborative work agreements with research and knowledge institutions on different levels.
13. Implementation of the general plan for universal accessibility to municipal museums with a particular focus on cognitive accessibility.
14. Preparation of a study on pricing policy and the services of feredat Barcelona's museums, in order to determine which are free of charge to local residents.
Mission: To promote the right to read, to knowledge, to access to information, and to the use of technologies through Barcelona's network of libraries, fundamental places for the promotion of social cohesion and personal development that provide equal opportunities for the exercising of cultural rights.
Presentation date: November 2022
Lines of action:
1. Design and development of asupport programme for reading in educational centres as well as providing support for school libraries, in cooperation with the Barcelona Education Consortium.
2. The promotion of education and training plansfor each library, as well as cooperation with, and support for, schools in the region.
3. The creation of learning spacesfor families with babies, adults and the elderly, digital, media and information literacy programmes, BiblioLab (maker spaces) for shared learning and co-creation of content, access to an extensive and up-to-date collection, opportunities to take part in activities and reading clubs, etc.
4. Designing an educational resource centrefor the whole city, linked to the current Documentation Service for Children's and Young People's Literature (SDLIJ).
5. The promotion of ocally-based community cultural projects with an educational and cultural perspective in the neighbourhoods.
6. The production of a City of Barcelona Reading Action Programme, in accordance with the Barcelona Institute of Culture.
7. Promoting the programming of personal and collective reading itineraries.
8. Promoting library outreach initiatives and services within the city, and in non-conventional spaces outside library facilities (social and healthcare centres, outdoor areas, festivals, etc.).
9. Fostering the acquisition of scientific and humanistic knowledge through training activities, and the reinforcement of dynamic learning initiatives and the BiblioLab programme (maker spaces).
10. Promoting a free virtual transmedia platform for the co-creationof digital content and access to the digital resources available in libraries.
11. Promoting projects in collaboration with business and cooperative networks, and also with the academic and scientific domains for the development of innovative projects and initiatives for improvements which generate social benefits for the city.