Special security, cleaning and mobility operation for La Mercè 2023
21/09/2023 - 12:51 h
Municipal services are being bolstered over the city’s festival days to ensure coexistence.
The City Police, in conjunction with the Barcelona Fire Service, the Mossos d’Esquadra police corps and Protection Civil, will be coordinating various measures to ensure safety and fluid mobility during the festivities:
- Organising and regulating traffic.
- Management and control of anti-social behaviour.
- Breathalyser and drug-driving checkpoints.
- Special parking prohibitions at points where activities are scheduled.
- Checks on points selling alcohol.
- Checks on capacity at access points to Plaça Sant Jaume to avoid risks posed by dense crowds.
- Prevention and assistance relating to gender violence, LGBTI-phobia and sexual violence.
The drone service will be activated for the city’s local festival, providing a means of support and information for the security operation. Images from the drones will always be viewed in real time, with no recordings taken under any circumstances.
Prevention and support against sexist violence and LGBTI-phobia
Safe routes are being set up and come in addition to those already established by the city’s police corps in different nightlife areas, enabling people to reach the nearest public transport stops. BCNantimasclista purple points will also be open at night in the following locations:
- C/ Menéndez y Pelayo. From Friday, 22 September, to Monday, 25 September, 8 pm to 5 am.
- Bogatell beach. From Friday, 22 September, to Sunday, 24 September, 8 pm to 5 am. The purple point in the beach building located on the Bogatell beach will also be open from Friday, 22 September, to Monday, 25 September, from 11 pm to 6 am.
All those in charge of spaces and activities for La Mercè have also received training this year, to be able to offer a swift, effective and coordinated response with security services in the case of incidents linked to gender violence.
Extra cleaning with more staff and vehicles
The special cleaning operation will be stepped up by 855 workers at nights and in the areas where activities are being organised during the festivities. Some, 1,300 selective waste bins will also be temporarily distributed.
Non-stop metro services for 91 hours
The metro service will be operating from 5 am on Friday, 22 September, to the end of the day on Monday 25 (midnight).
- More trains at night and early in the morning on Saturday and Sunday.
- Extra services on the 150 bus route to get to activities on Montjuïc mountain.
- The usual extra public transport services for the FC Barcelona match in the Olympic Stadium on Saturday, 23 September.
- Special boost to services on metro lines 1 and 3 for the Piromusical on Monday, 25 September.
People are recommended to use the metro network during La Mercè.