Tax breaks for reducing or eliminating single-use plastics
Establishments, business activities and professionals applying measures to reduce or eliminate single-use plastics will enjoy a 10% discount in public prices. This tax benefit will be included in municipal by-laws as from 2023. The measure forms part of the Barcelona Zero Plastic Commitment by Barcelona City Council, backed by over 200 organisations in the city.
Who can benefit from this tax break?
- Shops selling food, cleaning and personal hygiene products and offering at least a third of their products in bulk or in reusable packaging.
- Establishments selling fresh produce in reusable packaging or which accept reusable packaging which customers bring with them.
- Bars and restaurants complying with one of these three requisites: offering a third of takeaway drinks in reusable or returnable cups; serving a third of drinks for consumption on the premises with cups that can be returned or reused by the establishment or the providers; offering customers doggy bags in reusable or returnable packaging.
- Hotel establishments offering products in dispensers or reusable packaging and which do not use single-dose packaging. If they have a restaurant service, they need to satisfy one of the three previous requisites for bars and restaurants.
- Takeaway food establishments offering ready-made dishes in reusable and returnable packaging or which accept packaging which customers bring with them.
- Non-food establishments and services which do not use single-use plastics.
- Homes for the elderly and nursery schools which use at least a third of reusable nappies.
- Establishments which apply other important measures to reduce or eliminate plastics on their premises.