La Mercè, Christmas, St. Stephen’s Day (Boxing Day), Epiphany… these always fall on the same date every year. But there are holidays that don’t always fall on the same day, like Easter Monday and Whit Monday.
In 2020, All Saints’ Day (1 November) and Constitution Day (6 December) both fall on a Sunday, but we also recover two traditional holidays that fell on Sunday in 2019: Epiphany (6 January) and Day of the Immaculate Conception (8 December). Lastly, this year, two festivals fall on Saturdays: Feast of the Assumption (15 August) and St. Stephen’s Day (26 December). In total, there will be 14 holidays: 8 days chosen by the National Government (E), 4 days chosen by the Generalitat of Catalonia (G), and 2 chosen by the Barcelona City Council (A).
This is the calendar of holidays for the city of Barcelona:
- Wednesday, 1 January. New Year’s Day (E)
- Monday, 6 January. Epiphany / Three Kings’ Day (E)
- Friday, 10 April. Good Friday (E)
- Monday, 13 April. Easter Monday (G)
- Friday, 1 May. Labour Day (E)
- Monday, 1 June. Whit Monday / Pentecost Monday (A)
- Wednesday, 24 June. Midsummer’s Day / St. John’s Day (G)
- Saturday, 15 August. Feast of the Assumption (E)
- Friday, 11 September. Catalan National Day (G)
- Thursday, 24 September. Our Lady of Mercy (A)
- Monday, 12 October. Spanish National Holiday (E)
- Tuesday, 8 December. Day of the Immaculate Conception (E)
- Friday, 25 December. Christmas Day (E)
- Saturday, 26 December. Boxing Day / St Stephen’s Day (G)
The city’s more traditional festivals will take place on the following days:
- Epiphany / Three Kings’ Day. Monday, 6 January.
- St. Anthony’s Day Festivities. From Saturday, 11 to Sunday, 26 January.
- Santa Eulàlia Festivities. From Friday, 7 to Wednesday, 12 February.
- Carnival. From Thursday, 20 to Tuesday, 25 February
- Sant Medir. Tuesday, 3 March.
- Holy Week. From Sunday, 5 to Monday, 13 April.
- Sant Jordi. Thursday, 23 June.
- Pentecost / Els Cors Muts (The Silent Choirs). Monday, 1 June.
- Corpus Christi. Celebrating 700 years since the first reference to Corpus Christi in Barcelona. From Thursday, 11 to Sunday, 14 June.
- Saint John’s Eve / St. John’s Bonfire. Tuesday, 23 June.
- La Mercè. From Wednesday, 23 to Sunday, 27 September.
- The Castanyada (Chestnut Festival). Saturday, 31 October.
- All Saints’ Day. Sunday, 1 November.
- Christmas. Friday, 25 December.
- Boxing Day / St Stephen’s Day. Saturday, 26 December.
- New Year’s Eve. Thursday, 31 December.