A step closer to revitalising Passeig de la Mar Bella
22/03/2023 - 11:58
Climate emergency. The project to remodel the central section, fill it with life and adapt it to climate change gets approval at the commission stage.
The project to remodel the central section between the Mar Bella sports centre and C/ Josep Pla has been approved at the commission stage. The project reorganises the spatial uses of the avenue, adding more greenery and helping to fill it with community life, facilitating access and adapting it to protect the coast against the effects of climate change.
The transformation of Passeig de la Mar Bella will add dignity to the final section of the Barcelona coast still to be reconditioned and unite the neighbourhoods with the Besòs area.
The project starts with the central section, which will include:
- A pedestrian avenue at least 12 metres wide.
- A bike lane four metres wide.
- 15,000 square metres of new greenery, with a thousand trees, parterres and bushes.
- Leisure spaces, children’s play areas, sports areas in the avenue, separated from the beach, to improve organisation and avoid saturation.
- Four areas with slopes, ramps and accessible stands.
Work in the central section is due to get under way in 2024. In parallel, work continues to draft the final projects for the other two areas: at the municipal football ground and the sea deck. Over 44 million euros will be invested in the area overall.