All commercial establishments in Barcelona deserve a prizeThis year’s Barcelona Commerce 2020 award has changed its usual five categories for a unique unitary award for the professionals from the commerce and restaurant sector as a whole. The jury took this extraordinary decision unanimously to reward the huge effort made by the sector in combating the Covid-19 pandemic.
The jury from the Fundació Barcelona Comerç believe that all the city’s commercial establishments and restaurants deserve the award for the following reasons:
- For the responsibility, commitment and generosity shown in following the instructions of the authorities to tackle the Covid-19 pandemic.
- For their solidarity and bold response, in many cases involving personal sacrifice and costs.
- For helping people stay calm, by amply complying with all the obligatory and voluntary measures and creating safe spaces.
- For the capacity to adapt to an unknown situation, uncertain and ever-changing, pushing to the limit the sector’s ability to keep up economic activity.
- For showing the strength of associations.
- For highlighting they are a fundamental part of neighbourhood life in our city, including in limit situations.
Toni Falguera, owner of the Celler de Gelida, affiliated to the Sants – Les Corts shopping district, collected the award on behalf of the 55,400 commercial establishments in Barcelona.
This density of commerce, with nearly four establishments per hundred inhabitants, is one the most recognisable identity traits for the city’s commercial fabric.