Boosting urban renewal in Nou BarrisThe urban renewal of eighteen streets, squares and other public spaces in Nou Barris will facilitate daily life for local people, generate more pleasant spaces and improve cohesion between the different neighbourhoods in the district.
The various projects include improvements to pedestrian mobility and accessibility, more space for use by local people, children’s areas and dog zones and more greenery.
Some of the projects have already been completed and others are currently under way or due to be implemented in the next few months.
More space for pedestrians
The latest projects to be completed from the district plan are:
- Carrer de Formentera: semi-paved layout and wider pavements to facilitate pedestrian mobility, new trees, positioning of benches and litter bins.
- Carrer de la Florida: semi-paved layout with pavements 1.5 metres wide, new trees and urban furniture.
- Carrer d’Alcúdia: wider pavements, new trees, urban furniture and street lighting.
- Carrer de l’Escultor Ordóñez: re-urbanisation of the streets, wider pavements to improve accessibility and mobililty, renewed lighting and extra greenery.
- Carrer d’Inca: curbless paving, with large parterres and rest areas with chairs and benches.
Parc de la Guineueta and children’s areas
Six projects are currently under way in the district and are due to be completed in the first quarter of 2019:
- Carrer d’Almansa: upgrade to pavements, new trees, urban furniture and street lighting, modification to traffic direction and new layout for parking.
- Carrer de Nou Pins: semi-paved layout with wider pavements, new trees and urban furniture. New layout for parking.
- Parc de la Guineueta: creation of new access points, renewal of vegetation and structural elements, with improvement of dog zone and planting of extra greenery to be a carried out.
- Plaça dels Jardins d’Alfàbia: wider pavements, improved accessibility at the Llucmajor metro stop, new trees, street lighting and urban furniture.
- Plaça de la Font in the Parc del Pla de Fornells: conditioning work for multi-purpose use of the space, creation of large areas of trees and a children’s play area.
- Plaça d’Olof Palme: upgrade of children’s play area and planting of slope with vegetation. Pavements, street lighting and urban furniture also to be renewed.
Greater accessibility, a new park and a dog zone
Some of the biggest projects in the district will get under way in the first quarter of 2019 and take between six and eight months each:
- Plaça de Sóller: transformation into a new green park with an important community centre for the district. The work includes a hundred new trees and other garden elements, new areas for resting and strolling. The project responds to demands from local residents and is the result of an ideas contest.
- Carrer de la Mina de la Ciutat: wider pavements, addition of a roundabout to improve circulation, renewed street lighting and urban furniture.
- Trinitat Nova: improved integration of the urban layout with the natural environment of the Collserola park, boosting the presence of urban greenery.
- Campillo de la Virgen: construction of a covered sports court of 44 x 22 metres, with changing rooms.
- Escalators in Ciutat Meridiana: Stairs to be installed to improve connectivity between upper and lower streets in the neighbourhood, with new gardens also to be created.
- Carrer del Pedraforca: new road for vehicles.
- Dog zone at Can Dragó: covering 1,000 square metres.
The projects involve an investment of 29 million euros. The work is part of the Nou Barris Action Plan 2016-2019 and is 90.3% complete.