Gale alert and emergency warning for rough seasGiven the weather forecast, the strong winds and the increase in the height of waves at sea, the City Council activated the basic emergency plan for strong winds on Sunday 19 January, along with the basic emergency plan for rough seas, the latter being raised to emergency level on Monday. Citizens are recommended to take extra care and access to the beaches and breakwaters is forbidden.
The Barcelona Fire Service intervened 30 times on Sunday to handle incidents relating to the strong winds.
Given the risk of falling branches, the city’s parks and gardens are closed. The regulated section of the Park Güell is also closed.
During gales, the following recommendations are issued:
- Avoid high places which are exposed to winds, such as terraces, scaffolding or similar.
- Remove plant pots and other objects which could fall from windowsills and balconies.
- Check antennas and air-conditioning units located the outside the home.
- Make sure windows and doors are properly closed.
- Lower blinds and close awnings.
- It is advisable to keep clear of cornices, walls and trees which may fall.
- Extra caution when circulating next to buildings under construction or where work is being carried.
- Extra caution during activities outdoors.
- Caution with vehicles parked in the street. The wind can blow mopeds and elements of urban furniture over.
- Try to keep away from the beach. Gale force winds often cause tidal surges and high waves.
For full safety recommendations check the Barcelona Fire Service website.
Waves over 4 metres high
The City Police are patrolling the Barcelona coastline and blocking access to breakwaters and other points where waves break to prevent people being at risk.
Citizens are recommended to take extra care and access to the beaches and breakwaters is forbidden.
The plan moves to the emergency stage when the sea is rough, with waves of over 4 metres which can affect the city’s coast and cause damage to urban furniture.
Tags associated with the news item
Security and preventionSecurity and prevention
23/01/2020 12:29 h