Five transformations in urban planning and public transport with Next Generation fundsThe European funding provides a boost of 33 million euros for transformational projects in C/ Pi i Margall, Via Laietana and Av. Meridiana, along with the implementation of a zero-emissions bus service and improvements to the metro service. The goal behind the funding is the decarbonisation of urban areas and the promotion of sustainable mobility.
The 33.2 million euros will be used for the following projects:
- Carrer de Pi i Maragall (€ 7M): wider pavements, additional greenery and less space for vehicles.
- Via Laietana (€ 4.9M): wider pavements, maintaining two bus and taxi lanes in each direction and a segregated bike lane on the side heading towards the centre.
- Avinguda Meridiana (€ 4.6M): reduction of one traffic lane in each direction, creation of a wide segregated bike lane, addition of greenery, parterres and rest areas.
- Bus (€ 9M): addition of new electric buses to move towards a zero-emissions service.
- Metro (€ 7.6M): renewal of trains to improve the metro service and increase the frequency of trains.
In the first round of funding, Next Generation funds were used for the Barcelona Superblock, the Low Emission Zone and the digital and sustainable transformation of public transport.