Plaça de Catalunya to be at the centre of this year’s Christmas festivalBarcelona’s Christmas festival will be held citywide from 26 November to 6 January. Plaça de Catalunya will be the epicentre for the celebrations, with a cultural programme of twenty family events, music and stage shows, as well as over a hundred activities from 18 to 30 December.
The Christmas programme in Plaça de Catalunya will be organised into different time periods, with activities according to age:
- Mornings for children of all ages, with four main themes (literature, science, visual arts and movement) to get children involved and make them the protagonists.
- Cultural evenings with live music and performing arts with projects created in Barcelona, representing the city’s artistic diversity and appealing to audiences from home and abroad. The line-up includes various small and medium format activities, each lasting 30 minutes and alternating on two stages at each end of the square.
- Universal nights, with a single large format show occupying the whole square and telling a universally recognised Christmas story through the performing arts.
Plaça de Catalunya will be divided into different stages, but with a large continuous stage inside the square.
The Solidarity Commerce Fair will be set up around the outer ring and takes on a special importance this year as Barcelona has been chosen as the sustainable food capital for 2021.
Plaça de Catalunya will also be one of the city’s big illuminated spaces at Christmas, in addition to other places being lit up such as Via Laietana, Plaça d’Urquinaona, Carrer d’Aragó, Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes, Avinguda del Paral·lel and Carrer de Balmes.
The Christmas lights are considered a key tool for the recovery of city commerce during the festive season. Because of this, the City Council will be taking certain measures:
- Exceptional funding of up to 75% of Christmas lighting for commercial establishments in the city. This is the first time funding will exceed the maximum limit of 50%.
- Christmas lights on the façades of the 39 municipal markets for the first time.
- The City Council will directly contract the lighting for shopping hubs, as requested by the latter.
- More city centre streets will be illuminated.
Christmas 2020Christmas 2020
31/12/2020 13:16 h