Special security, cleaning and mobility operation for La MercèAdditional municipal services are being laid on to ensure social harmony as the city celebrates the festivities for La Mercè from 23 to 26 September. Extra cleaning teams will be on duty, with safe routes established to prevent and detect sexist violence plus a non-stop metro service set to provide 91 hours of uninterrupted service.
The City Police and the Mossos d’Esquadra police corps will be coordinating various measures to ensure safety and fluid mobility during the festivities, such as:
- Organising and regulating traffic.
- Breathalyser and drug-driving checkpoints.
- Special parking prohibitions at points where activities are scheduled.
- Checks on points selling alcohol.
- Checks on capacity at access points to Plaça Sant Jaume to avoid risks posed by dense crowds.
The drone service will be activated for the city’s local festival for the first time this year, providing support and information for the security operation. The images from the drones will always be viewed in real time, with no recordings taken under any circumstances.
Prevention and support against sexist violence and LGBTI-phobia
Safe routes are being set up and come in addition to those already established by the city’s police corps in different nightlife areas, enabling people to reach the nearest public transport stops. Patrols operating this service are also in contact with heads of security at local bars and discos.
Extra cleaning with more staff and vehicles
The special cleaning operation will be stepped up at nights and in the districts with music stages. This includes:
- Mobilisation of 700 workers in all and 70 additional vehicles.
- Distribution of over 1,700 temporary selective waste bins.
Non-stop metro service from 5 am on Friday, 23 September, to the end of the day on Monday 26 (midnight).
- More trains at night and early in the morning on Saturday and Sunday.
- Special boost to services on metro lines 1 and 3 for the Piromusical on Monday 26.
Owing to strike action on bus services, minimum services will be operating on 23 September, providing 20% service levels between 10 am and 12 noon, and between 9 pm and 11 pm, with normal service levels during the rest of the day. On 24, 25 and 26 September, minimum services are established at 33% from 10 am to 12 noon and from 9 pm to 11 pm. Normal service levels will apply during the rest of the day.
People are recommended to use the metro to get around during La Mercè.