Over two thousand more school dinner subsidies awardedWith an increase of 5.7% compared to the last school year and an overall investment of more than 35 million euros, school dinner subsides are now awarded to over 36,500 children and teenagers in the city.
Some 78% of the investment is funded by the Catalan government’s Ministry of Education, with Barcelona City Council contributing the other 22% with the goal of reaching seriously vulnerable families identified by different municipal social services.
The Education Consortium, made up of both administrations, works to optimise the detection of pupils in vulnerable situations so that everybody in need can get a school dinner subsidy. This way the fight continues to halt school segregation and drop-out rates. To date, 83.47% of students in vulnerable situations have received the school dinner subsidy for 2021-2022 school year.
School dinner subsidies are a support tool for families, guaranteeing children and teenagers one good square meal a day and the chance to enjoy educational time in the school dining room. This also helps combat absenteeism during afternoon classes.
Thanks to improvements in kitchens and dining rooms in secondary schools carried out since the 2016-2017 school year, 75 publicly operated secondary schools in the city (61 out of 64 secondary schools and the 14 all-through schools) can offer students a dinner service five days a week.