Launch of the Barcelona Sports Tech HubThe Barcelona Sports Tech Hub is located in Montjuïc and has been conceived to make the city an international leader in sportstech, the goal being to improve the economic competitiveness of businesses, organisations and institutions in this sector.
Promoted by BSM and Barcelona Activa, the incubator will have space for up to 14 start-ups, offer acceleration programmes, training and pilot projects and organise events to add vitality to this sector. It will also include a large co-working area, interconnecting work modules, rooms for communal use and a green area of 400 square metres for people to meet in.
The incubator for sports and tech projects at the Olympic Ring will be the first facility at the Barcelona Sports Tech Hub, an initiative by the Barcelona Institute for Sports to promote and host projects relating to any sphere of physical activity and sport, with an emphasis on three aspects:
- High performance sport
- Water sports and the promotion of the blue economy
- Sports activity for the public
The hub will consist of companies, large corporations, institutions, start-ups and other tech stakeholders with projects to transform and improve sports and sports management, including projects linked to e-sports.
Important projects should help the initiative function in its early years, with the hub to have offices in the Palau Municipal d’Esports in the future:
- First incubator for sportstech start-ups in Barcelona, located at the Estadi Olímpic Lluís Companys, with 1,167 m2 and promoted by BSM and Barcelona Activa.
- New project for the Port Olímpic, promoted and managed by BSM.
- Support programme for the creation of sportstech start-ups, validation of business models, training and networking. This includes six months of coworking for start-ups at the Almogàvers incubator.
- Digital platform to sustain the entire hub.
The initial budget for the Barcelona Sport Tech Hub is three million euros.