Proposals from members of the public to tackle the climate emergencyThe participatory and deliberative process by the Citizen Climate Assembly concludes with the presentation of 34 proposals on energy, mobility and consumption. A hundred people have been meeting regularly since September 2022 to discuss the climate emergency and decide on measures which can be implemented in the city.
The hundred participants in the Citizen Climate Assembly were chosen in a draw and represent a demographic and socioeconomic cross-section of the people of Barcelona.
Following various sessions, meetings in small groups and talks from experts, the assembly deliberated to choose the proposals presented at the closing session for the Citizen Climate Assembly.
Energy transition proposals
- Reduction in energy consumption by Barcelona City Council.
- Promotion of energy communities with the necessary regulations.
- Minimum vital energy consumption and discouragement of excessive consumption.
- Hub for companies devoted to the reduction of energy consumption.
- Recycling of inefficient domestic appliances at the end of their useful life.
- Recycling of renewable energy facilities and monitoring of impact.
- Regulation of rents according to energy efficiency of homes.
Sustainable mobility proposals
- Promotion of shared vehicles.
- Shuttle buses and interchanges at access points to Barcelona.
- Green streets for bicycles and pedestrians.
- Greened up streets.
- Lower public transport prices.
- Promotion of teleworking.
- Expansion of the bus network to make it more accessible.
- Transformation of the low emission zone to establish an annual limit on kilometres.
- Creation of apps to coordinate sustainable mobility and improve people’s personal carbon footprint.
Responsible consumption proposals
- Responsible consumption awareness campaigns.
- More information to improve waste separation for street containers.
- Creation of an app and a card to foster responsible consumption.
- Reduction in the price of organic local produce.
Barcelona was the first city in the Spanish state to launch a deliberative assembly on climate change at a local level, following in the footsteps of similar initiatives in France, Scotland and Spain. The Citizen Climate Assembly is the second deliberative assembly promoted by Barcelona City Council after the BCN Youth Forum.
Tags associated with the news item
Climate emergencyClimate emergency
The Citizen Climate Assembly debates measures to tackle the climate crisis
17/09/2022 11:59 h
Environment and sustainabilityEnvironment and sustainability
Harvest of bitter oranges to make marmalade
03/02/2023 12:00 h