Catalan National Day 2019: disruptions to mobility and recommendationsThe demonstration on 11 September along the Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes, from Plaça d’Espanya to Plaça de la Universitat, is the main event being organised on Catalan National Day. A special operation will be in place on the day to guarantee mobility and extra public transport will be laid on. People are recommended to get about on foot or by metro, avoid using the stations nearest to the demonstration and follow advice issued by Civil Protection.
Extra public transport
- Metro: Transports Metropolitans de Barcelona (TMB) will be laying on extra services across the whole metro network between 12 noon and 9 pm, with L1 and L3 services operating the same services as working days.
- Ferrocarrils de la Generalitat de Catalunya: Extra services on the Barcelona-Vallès line and on the Llobregat-Anoia line. Additional carriages will be laid on and the same service levels as working days will operate from 12 noon to 9.30 pm.
- Rodalies de Barcelona: RENFE local trains will operate the same services as working days.
- Bus services affected: Disruptions to urban bus services mean that 29 routes will be affected from 2.30 pm to 9 pm, with diversions or significant restrictions in place: D20, D40, D50, H12, H14, H16, V7, V9, V11, V13, V15, 7, 13,19, 21, 22, 24, 46, 52, 54, 55, 59, 62, 63, 65, 67, 79, 109 and 150. The tourist bus service will also be affected. From 6 am, and throughout the day, the activities being organised at the Espai Eines de País in Pla de Palau will also affect services V19, 47 and 120.
- Bicing: Eleven Bicing stations will be closed for much of the day, mostly located in the Gran Via and around Plaça d’Espanya.
You can keep abreast of disruptions to public transport via the TMB Twitter account @TMBinfo, as well as @FGC and @Rodalies.
The stage and some of the main areas for the event are in Av. Reina Maria Cristina, which will be closed to traffic from 8 am on Monday 9 September through to 2 am on Thursday 12, allowing for structures to be set up and later dismantled.
In addition, on Tuesday 10 September, from 8.30 am and throughout the day there will occasional restrictions to enable the PA system and other elements to be installed on lampposts in:
- Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes, between Sant Germà and Pg. Gràcia.
• Creu Coberta, between Sant Roc and Pl. Espanya.
• Tarragona, between Pl. Espanya and Consell de Cent.
• Paral·lel, between Pl. Espanya and Vilamarí-Lleida.
• Plaça d’Espanya.
Plaça d’Espanya will be completely closed to traffic as from 2.30 pm on Wednesday 11 September. Vehicles will be diverted from the side lane of the Gran Via into Creu Coberta and Tarragona. The rest of the streets where the demonstration is being held will start being closed to traffic from 3 pm.
The event ends at 6.45 pm and from then on, as the volume of people allows it, Plaça d’Espanya and adjacent streets will be re-opened to traffic, with normal circulation anticipated in the whole area from 9 pm. Av. Reina Maria Cristina will be cleared of structures in the road and opened again to traffic the following day.
- Keep track of official information on the event and transport recommendations.
- Always keep ID on you.
- Identify emergency exit points.
- If attending with children, carry them or hold their hand. Make sure they have their personal data on them and some contact details.
- Don’t climb on bannisters, railings, unfixed or unstable street furniture.
- If meeting others, agree on a meeting point in case you split up or get lost.
- Wear comfy clothing and sturdy footwear which protects your feet, as well as taking water with you.
- If you need to contact others, use text messages and avoid voice calls.
- After the event, be patient and leave in an orderly fashion.
- If there is an emergency, keep calm and pay attention to instructions from emergency services.
- Remember, the number to call for emergencies is 112.
Anti-sexism support points
Four purple points will be operating during Catalan National Day, to inform, identify, draw attention to and act against sexist aggression. They will be located at:
- Avinguda de Paral·lel – Avinguda de Mistral.
- Carrer de Tarragona 85-99.
- Carrer de Viladomat – Gran Via.
- Carrer de Muntaner – Gran Via.
Four areas of 80 square metres will be set aside with seats and shade for senior citizens, pregnant women and families with babies.
- Plaça Espanya between Creu Coberta and Gran Via.
- Carrer de Tarragona, 85-99.
- Carrer de Viladomat – Gran Via.
- Plaça de la Universitat.