The AI Advisory Council starts lifeApproval has been given to create the Advisory Council on Artificial Intelligence, Ethics and Digital Rights. Its role will be to advise and assist the City Council on the use of artificial intelligence for the common good and to propose projects and actions to make Barcelona a leader in technological humanism.
The fifteen members of the council are independent experts representing a broad academic spectrum in scientific and technological disciplines, as well as social sciences and the humanities, and with previous experience relating to ethics and artificial intelligence.
From the City Council, the Third Deputy Mayor, Laia Bonet, will chair the council, with the vice-chair occupied by the Commissioner for Digital Innovation, Electronic Administration and Good Governance, Michael Donaldson.
The functions of the Advisory Council on Artificial Intelligence, Ethics and Digital Rights are to:
- Advise the government team on the use of artificial intelligence for the common good, with a broad and global vision.
- Produce studies on the impact of high-risk algorithmic systems to be developed or tendered.
- Promote collaboration with universities, teaching centres, research centres, businesses, foundations and public and private institutions linked to artificial intelligence and its ethical dimension.
- Propose projects and actions to make Barcelona a leading city in technological humanism and propose public policies to guarantee people’s digital rights.
- Assess the development of the municipal strategy for algorithms and data for the ethical promotion of artificial intelligence and propose improvements for meeting its goals and implementing it.
- Promote debate and knowledge on the impact of artificial intelligence for our society, connected to the academic world, institutions and citizens.
The decree to create the council establishes that it will meet at least twice a year and that its members will be named by Mayoral Decree for a period of five years, with the possibility of extending this by another term of office at the most.
12/04/2023 12:00 h