Work gets under way to remodel the Mercat de Sant AndreuThe market is to be completely revamped. The future building will be more integrated with its surroundings thanks to a transparent glass structure making market stalls and commercial activity more visible from the outside.
Demolition work at the old market starts on 27 September, paving the way for the construction of the new building on the same site in Pl. Mercadal, in the heart of the neighbourhood. This is the first step in a complete overhaul of the Mercat de Sant Andreu, which will have a glass façade around the outside of the building to connect the inside of the market with its surroundings better and give greater visibility to what the market has to offer.
The initial demolition work at the market will take six months, with the premises being cleaned and emptied over the last few days of September. After that the demolition work will involve dismantling and knocking down the indoor sections and elements of the building, with the structure itself to follow.
The temporary market is located in C/ Sant Adrià, between C/ Segre and C/ Otger, and will operate for the duration of the project to revamp the old market.
The new market
The project for the new market pays special attention to the location of the market in the unique arched square of Plaça del Mercadal, in the heart of the historical neighbourhood of Sant Andreu de Palomar.
The volume of the building will be slightly reduced to lighten its visual impact. The project also includes a revamp to the area around the market.
The market building will have two floors: a ground floor and a basement, distributed as follows:
- Ground floor of 1,240 square metres, with space for the sale of fresh produce. Eighteen stalls will operate here.
- Basement of 1,218 square metres, with space for market logistics and storage, refrigerated storage and a waste unit connected to the ground floor.
The sales premises will be in a perimeter building and distributed as follows:
- Ground floor of 370 square meters, with space for the five businesses selling non-foodstuffs.
- Floors 1 and 2, of 140 square metres each, will be used for offices and function rooms.
Activities in Pl. Mercadal
The Sant Andreu district office is organising a series of activities to add vitality to the commercial area in the square:
- On 6 October a workshop will be held on nutrition and healthy eating, with a range of healthy sandwiches being presented and talks given on nutrition.
- Giant wooden games will be installed in November for young children and adults alike. A workshop will also be held for children to learn how to decorate pumpkins, with stallholders offering pumpkin recipes too.
- A roleplay workshop will be run in December for young children to come and do some shopping. Some market stallholders will help liven the activity up.