Choosing a School
With the main purpose of providing information for international families who decide make Barcelona their home with school-age children and want to discover the educational options, two publications have been produced (available only in English):
- International schools in Barcelona and other multilingual school options, which compiles updated lists of schools in the Barcelona area that offer international education or specialise in the use of foreign languages. It also lists the schools that offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP) and the Batxibac.
- Choosing a school in Barcelona, Practical guide for international families, which focuses on the compulsory educational stage (from 6 to 16 years of age) and contains useful information, as well as tips for choosing a school and for learning about all the available options and resources.
International families share their experience
With the intention of sharing different experiences and helping international families search for the best school for their sons and daughters, we have spoken with four families who have gone through the process of choosing a school for their children in the Barcelona area. Each family interview reflects on different priorities to make a decision.
- Kevin: Language and academic skills
Student: Kevin (11 years)
Mother: Mireya (from Ecuador)
Father: Andree (from Germany)
Type of school: Private international school
Name of school: Deutsche Schule Barcelona
Interview (in Spanish) on this link. (Subtitles available on Spanish, Catalan and English).
- Joy: Integration and well-being
Student: Joy (4 years)
Mother: Krystal (from England)
Father: Paul (born in Catalonia)
Type of school: Public school
Name of school: Escola Pere Villa
Interview (in Spanish and English) on this link. (Subtitles available on Spanish, Catalan and English).
- Anouk: Classes and culture
Student: Anouk (17 years)
Mother: Krystal (from France)
Type of school: State-subsidised private school
Name of school: Escola Frederic Mistral-Tècnic Eulàlia
Interview (in French) on this link. (Subtitles available on Spanish, Catalan and English).
- Harry: Enrolment and beginning at a new school
Student: Harry (10 years)
Mother: ChunYu (from China)
Type of school: Private school
Name of school: American School of Barcelona
Interview (in English) on this link. (Subtitles available on Spanish, Catalan and English).