Large family certificate

Large family certificate

It is an official document attesting to large family status which gives the opportunity to benefit from advantages, discounts and benefits from institutions, entities and commercial premises throughout Spain.

Along with the collective certificate for the whole family, an individual card for each family member is issued, for their personal, non-transferable use.

The formality is not mandatory but it is of significant interest to families meeting the requirements for large families and who want to gain access to the benefits and discounts offered by the certificate.

These advantages relate to certain social, tax, employment and educational benefits; benefits relating to housing; and discounts on certain everyday services affecting domestic finances, vehicle purchase, transport, leisure and other services offered by some private businesses.


The certificate expires on the date shown on the document and it can be applied for at any time.

Unmarried couples recognised by a certificate of cohabitation or notarial certificate, or who have a child in common, are recognised as relatives in the ascending line.

In the event of break-ups or reformed families, no one may be counted in two different family units at the same time.

Foreign nationals have the right to be recognised as a large family on the same terms as Spanish nationals, as long as all the family members giving rise to the right to that status are legally resident in Spain.

In the case of foreign nationals from outside the EU, it is a requirement that all the family members’ resident’s permits are current and the expiry date of the certificate may never go beyond the date of those permits.

For families who, at the same time, have the right to be recognised as a large family and also as a single-parent family, a certificate for each one will be issued, as they are compatible. However, benefits in the same class or of the same type are not cumulative, unless established otherwise.

The certificate covers two categories:

  • The general category, which includes families with three children, or two, if one of them is disabled.
  • The special category, for which one of the following requirements must be met:
    • Families with five, or more, children.
    • Families with four children, at least three of which come from a multiple birth, adoption or permanent or pre-adoption fostering or two multiple births.
    • Family units whose annual income, divided by the number of members, does not exceed 75% of the current minimum wage, including extra payments.

Who does it apply to?

It is aimed at families who can prove that they meet the conditions to be considered large families. That is to say, in general, families with one or two parents with three or more children, whether in common, or not.

What requirements must be met?

Requirements to be met by the household:

  • One or two relatives in the ascending line, with three or more children, whether in common, or not.
  • Separated or divorced parents with three or more children, whether in common or not, even if they are in different family units, and as long as they are financially dependent on them, even though they do not live at the same address.
  • Two or more orphaned brothers and/or sisters under guardianship or fostered who live with the guardian or foster parent, but do not financially depend on them.
  • Three or more orphaned brothers and/or sisters, over 18 years of age, or two, if one of them is disabled, who live with and are financially dependent on each other.
  • A parent with two children, in the event that the other parent is deceased.
  • One or two relatives in the ascending line with two children, whether in common or not, as long as at least one of the children has a recognised disability of 33% or more or is unable to work.
  • Two relatives in the ascending line with two children, whether in common or not, where the two relatives in the ascending line have a recognised disability of 33% or more each, or at least one of them has a level of disability of 65% or more, or they are unable to work.
  • This case is understood to include families consisting of a single parent with a proven level of disability of 65% or more, or who is unable to work, with two children.

Requirements to be met by the children:

  • Being under 21 years of age, or being disabled or unable to work, or being under 26 years of age if they are studying. There is no age limit for disabled children, as long as they live with their family.
  • Living with the parents, except cases of separation or divorce.
  • Being financially dependent on the parents.
  • That the children included are single.

How long is it valid for?

The certificate expires on the date shown on the document.

What do you need to do?

You can get the large family certificate in person, by attending the relevant offices, or over the Internet, via the Generalitat Virtual Formalities Office website, if you have a digital certificate.

What steps must you follow?


Step 1. You must obtain the digital certificate
  • To get information about the procedure for obtaining the digital certificate, access the relevant document, where you will find the information and all the details about how to obtain it.
Step 2. Fill in the form and gather the necessary documentation
  • You must access the application form for large family certificate (only available in Catalan and Spanish), fill it in following the instructions, attach the documents requested and send it.
  • The application cannot be processed over the Internet in cases where there are disabled children over 25 years of age.
  • In the event that you are part of a family unit in a specific situation that is not provided for above, check the specific documentation required with the body responsible.
  • When the application is registered, a page containing the details of the formality will be displayed, along with the document acknowledging receipt. You must print or save this document, as it contains a record of receipt, the identifier for the formality and the fees.
Step 3. You will receive the certificate
  • When the procedure is completed, you will receive an informative email (if you indicated that you wished to receive this on the application form) and if the resolution is favourable, you will receive the certificate at the address you indicated on the form.


Step 1. Fill in the form and gather the necessary documentation
  • You must download the application form for large family certificate, fill it in, confirm the details and sign it. The form is only available in Catalan and Spanish.
  • If you prefer, you can ask for the form and fill it in at the same office you deliver the documentation to.
  • Before starting the application, find out about and prepare the documentation that will be requested.
Step 2. Go to the place indicated and hand over the documentation required
  • To apply for the certificate in person, go to one of the following offices in Barcelona province to submit the application and documentation needed:
    • Social and Family Affairs Offices and Citizens Information Offices of the Department of Social Rights, with an appointment.
    • Government of Catalonia registry offices for entering and issuing documents
  • You can also go to any of the other places provided for by law:
    • At the registries of government bodies
    • At post offices (in the form stipulated in the regulations)
    • At Spanish diplomatic missions or consular offices abroad
    • At any other place provided for under current rules
Step 3. You will receive the certificate
  • If you submit the application in person at one of the offices of the Ministry of Employment, Social Affairs and Families, the large family certificate will be given to you on the spot, along with the decision in favour, as long as:
    • You satisfy all the requirements
    • You provide the documentation needed.

Who can submit the application?

The formality can be completed by anyone of legal age who is a part of the family unit which fulfils the conditions for being considered a large family.

What documentation is needed?

All documentation must be submitted in original and photocopy format, or a certified photocopy.

A certified copy is a true copy of the original document which certifies its validity. It can be applied for at registry offices or via a Spanish notary, by submitting the original document. For more information, check the certified photocopy formality on the Barcelona City Council formalities website (available in Catalan and Spanish).

General documentation

Identity document (one of the following documents must be provided):

  • Spanish national identity document (DNI), NIF (tax identification number) or NIE (identity number for foreign nationals) for the individual or individuals applying and for the children over 18 years of age who form part of the family unit.

Family document (one of the following documents must be provided):

  • Full family book.
  • Ruling, notarial certificate or administrative decision on adoption (only where this document has not previously been submitted to the Catalan Institute for Fostering and Adoption and it is not recorded in the family book).
  • Judicial resolution for guardianship or administrative resolution for family placement.

Specific documentation

  • Volant de convivència or document stating that the family unit lives together on the date the application is submitted.
  • Certified income tax return for the last available tax year, or an imputed income certificate, in the event there is no obligation to declare in relation to children over 21 years of age.

In the event that you authorise the body responsible for the formality to check these data with other authorities or bodies, you do not need to provide this documentation.

  • In the case of children over 21 and up to 26 years of age:
    • Certificate of studies or paid enrolment for the year in progress.
  • In the case of stable partnerships with children who are not in common:
    • Volant de convivència or document stating where a registered individual lives and with whom for the family unit for the last two years or a notarial certificate.
  • In the case of separation or divorce:
    • Copy of the separation or divorce ruling.
    • Custody agreement for the children.
  • In the case of widowhood:
    • Death certificate for the other parent, in the event that it is not shown in the family book.

Additional documentation for nationals from an EU country

EU resident’s permit for the individual or individuals applying and for the children over 18 years of age who form part of the family unit.

If you do not have the above document, you should provide the following:

  • Certified copy of the certificate of registration as an EU national.
  • Certified copy of your passport or identity document from your country of origin.

Additional documentation for nationals from a country outside the EU (non-EU nationals)

  • Current resident’s permit for all members of the family unit.

How long does it take?

If the certificate is processed in person, the document is processed and handed over on the spot, as long as you provide the documentation requested and meet all the requirements.

If the conditions are not fulfilled, or if the application is submitted by individuals in specific cases, the document will not be received then and there. In such situations, the authority has a period of six months from the date the application is submitted to make and notify its decision.

What does it cost?

It is free.

Want to know more?

Body responsible for the formality

Department of Social Rights (Generalitat de Catalunya-Government of Catalonia).

Further information

You can consult the Network of advantages for large families and the Guide to benefits and services for families.

You can call the Generalitat help line (012) to resolve any queries or incidents during the process of applying over the Internet.You can also consult the formality large family certificate (available in Catalan and Spanish).

Important linked formalities

If you wish to apply for the large family certificate, prior to getting the document you must obtain the following:


The procedures tend to change frequently. Therefore, only what is provided by the regulations in force at the time of carrying out the procedure in question is applicable.