Digital document containing an individual’s identity details and which enables all kinds of formalities to be completed over the Internet
What do you need to know?
What do you need to do?
It is FREE OF CHARGE
Its period of VALIDITY is between 3 and 4 YEARS, depending on the issuing body
It can be applied for at ANY TIME
It is applied for IN PERSON
The digital certificate is the identification mechanism used to handle transactions with public authorities (such as filing tax returns and paying taxes and consulting and registering on the register of residents) and also with private bodies over the Internet..
The digital document enables all kinds of formalities to be completed online with full legal guarantees, ensuring that transmission is confidential and that no third party can access the information or change it. Apart from identifying individuals, it also enables electronic documents to be signed with the same legal validity as a handwritten signature.
It is for any Spanish or foreign national who wants to prove their identity securely over the Internet.
Who should apply for it?
The application should be submitted in person by the certificate holder, in order to prove their identity, or via a duly accredited representative.
- You must be of legal age or an emancipated minor.
- Having a digital certificate means you can save having to go in person to various bodies to complete formalities. Therefore, obtaining the certificate once you are settled in the city is recommended.
- If your certificate is revoked, for any reason, it cannot be reactivated. You have to apply for a new certificate.
- The email address appearing on the certificate cannot be changed. If you wish to change it, you need to apply for a new certificate.
- Depending on the issuer, the certificate may be valid for between three and four years.
- Some of the processes that can be done over the Internet when you obtain a digital certificate are shown below:
- Document stating where a registered individual lives and with whom from the City of Barcelona Municipal Register of Residents
- Document attesting to an individual’s current registration in the City of Barcelona Municipal Register of Residents
- Obtaining a Social Security Number
- Registration with the Tax Office
- Registration with the social security system
- Application for recognition of the right to access public healthcare
- Large family certificate
- Single-parent family certificate
What do you need to do?
The digital certificate is obtained in person. Even so, the application is started over the Internet, by accessing the Spanish National Mint website.
What steps should you take to apply for the digital certificate for individuals?
To avoid problems with the certificate application process, you need to choose a number of settings in the browser beforehand. These settings vary depending on the browser.
Once the browser is configured, you need to fill in the Internet application for the certificate by entering the following information:
- Identity document number (tax identification number or identity number for foreign nationals).
- First surname.
- An email address.
When you have entered all the information, you need to send the request and accept confirmation of the application.
When the application process has finished, you will receive an application code by email which will be requested when you prove your identity and also later, when you download the certificate.
When you have the application code, you need to go to a registry office to prove your identity.
The registry offices for the certificate are Social Security offices and Tax Office branches and offices.
To find the office which would be easiest for you, you can consult the location service for the nearest registry offices.
You need to request an appointment beforehand at Tax Office branches and at some Social Security offices.
- To arrange an appointment with the Tax Office, you need to access the relevant website (All formalities > Other services > Appointments) or call 901 200 351 or 912 901 340.
- To make an appointment with Social Security, you need to go to the relevant electronic office (Citizens > Appointments for Pensions and Other Benefits).
Once you have looked into the offices, or have arranged an appointment beforehand (where necessary) you, or your authorised representative, should go to the registry office chosen to submit the documentation.
To prove your identity, you need to provide the following:
- The application code.
- A valid, current identity document (Spanish national identity document, passport, driving licence, identity number for foreign nationals or certificate of registration as an EU national, along with the passport or identity document from the country of origin).
- In the event that the documentation is submitted by a representative, authorisation signed by the holder must also be provided.
Having proved your identity at the registry office, you need to download the certificate as soon as possible and install it on your computer, using the application code.
In order to download it, you need to use the same computer, same browser and the same username you used to make the application. You also need to enter the required data, just like you did when you made the application.
If the process is successful, it will send you to a page with information about the certificate.
Finally, you need to install the digital certificate program and you can use it every time you open the browser.