Schooling for newly arrived students
What do you need to know?
This is the application for the schooling of students who have recently arrived in the city, when the school year has already started or when the official enrolment period has ended.
Schooling for newly arrived students applies to pre-primary education, primary education and compulsory secondary education. Outside the preregistration period, applications for admission to these courses are only dealt with, taking existing vacant places into account, where they relate to:
- Students who have never been to school in Catalonia.
- Changes of address from another municipality, or district in the case of Barcelona, on the part of the parents, guardians or carers.
- Claims of other exceptional circumstances, including changes of school due to domestic violence or school bullying.
It is essential that the child has arrived in the city.
Schools are under an obligation to provide information about their education plan and about additional activities and what they cost.
In the case of students between 16 and 18 years of age who wish to continue with their studies and register when the school year has already started, they need to go to the Barcelona Education Consortium Help and Information Office, where they can get information about what they can do.
Who does it apply to?
It is aimed at students who have recently arrived in the city who want to enrol when the school year has already started, or when the enrolment period has finished.
What requirements must be met?
- It is essential that the child is registered in the municipal register of residents.
- In cases where the students are already at school, they should be enrolled with the new school and formally leave the school they have come from.
What do you need to do?
The formality may only be completed in person, by going to the school applied for.
What steps must you follow?
STEP 1: Gather and submit the information
- Before you start your application or visit the chosen school or the Barcelona Education Consortium's Help and Information Office, first check the website to find out whether or not you need to make a prior appointment and prepare the documents required from you for formal pre-enrolments.
STEP 2: If the student has been admitted, enrolment will be formalised
- In the event that there are places available and the student has been admitted, you need to complete enrolment at the new school within the time limit set.
- Apart from the documents provided when you submitted the preregistration application, when you come to formalise enrolment you may need to submit the following:
- A photocopy of the student's vaccination card showing the doses of vaccine received and their dates. If you do not have a vaccinations card, you need to submit an official medical certificate or the student’s health card showing the doses of vaccine received and the relevant dates. If the child has not been vaccinated on a doctor’s advice, or for other reasons, an official medical certificate justifying this must be submitted.
- If appropriate, if it could not be submitted with the preregistration application: The renewed DNI with the new address.
- Documentation attesting to any access requirements.
Who can submit the application?
The application should be submitted by the parent or parents, the legal guardian, or by an authorised person.
What documentation must be attached to the application?
You need to submit the original and a photocopy of the following documents:
- Identity document of the parent, parents or guardian.
- Family book or birth certificate for the child admitted to schooling.
- Document attesting to an individual's current registration in the municipal register for the child's parent, parents or guardian.
- Document attesting to an individual's current registration in the municipal register for each student to be schooled.
These documents can be submitted:
- The school applied for, which admits the student, if it has places available for the education and level requested and as long as the conditions are met.
- The Barcelona Education Consortium Help and Information Office, having made an appointment beforehand.
- You will need to make a prior appointment if you wish to receive assistance from the Barcelona Education Consortium’s Help and Information Office, which you can do by calling 012 or accessing the link for “Prior appointment” requests, indicating your personal details and the details of your visit.
- In the event that enrolment is requested at the new school claiming exceptional circumstances, you must go to the office mentioned above.
What does the application cost?
The process is FREE OF CHARGE.
Want to know more?
Where can I find more information?
You can use the link to the official Barcelona Education Consortium website (only available in Catalan, but it does have Google Translate which means that the portal can be viewed in many languages).
Important linked formalities
Some examples of formalities which you may be asked to complete prior to newly arrived students being placed in a school are set out below:
- Registration in the municipal register of residents of the city of Barcelona
- Document stating where a registered individual lives and with whom from the city of Barcelona municipal register of residents
- Document attesting to an individual’s current registration in the city of Barcelona municipal register of residents
- Individual healthcare card (TSI)