Eleven projects recognised for helping maintain economic activity during the pandemicBizbarcelona, a leading trade fair for entrepreneurs, start-ups and SMEs, has given its ‘Barcelona never stops’ award to eleven projects for their role in maintaining economic activity in the city during the Covid-19 crisis.
The awards, created by the Bizbarcelona fair and Barcelona Activa, recognise the work of various collectives which have managed to impose themselves in the current context of the pandemic through initiative, ingenuity and imagination.
Eleven of the 95 proposals put forward received awards, in three different categories:
Creating or reinventing a business
- Sycai Technologies, for creating an artificial smart assistant to help with the early detection of cancer of the pancreas.
- Fundació Roure, for turning a sewing workshop for people in vulnerable situations into a facility to produce individual protective suits.
- Creativialab Marketing, a group of companies from various sectors which have teamed up to generate smart solutions to protect people.
Activities to maintain business activity
- Palau de la Música, for Estiu al Palau 2020, a cycle of summer concerts which helped the cultural sector to recover.
- Suara Cooperativa, for its free emotional and physical support service during the lockdown.
- Copernic, the first virtual community of business clusters and chambers of commerce.
- Sistemes d’Edició, the graphic communication company which changes its activity to manufacture acrylic screens.
Collaboration or shared initiative
- Xarxa d’ateneus de fabricació digital, Barcelona City Council’s fab lab network took part in the Coronavirus Makers movement at the height of the crisis, using 3D printing to manufacturer thousands of protective suits and materials.
- T‐Mercabarna Solidària, this free app helps streamline food distribution to groups at risk of exclusion.
- Nixi for Children, a virtual reality experience which explains to children what the coronavirus is.
- COVIDWarriors, a volunteer association united in the fight against Covid.