New measures to contain the spread of Covid-19PROCICAT has decreed tighter new measures which come into force from 7 January and will be in place until 24 January, with the goal of halting the infection rate for Covid-19, which has worsened significantly. The measures mean a change to the restrictions in the areas of mobility, commerce, extra-curricular activities, recreation and sports. (Information updated on 5/1/2021).
Mobility, travel and social gatherings
- Entering or leaving Catalonia is not permitted, except in medical emergencies, for work purposes, care of vulnerable people, return to one’s usual place of residence and other duly justified force majeure causes.
- As from 7 January it will not possible to leave the municipality at any time of the week either, with the same exceptions to apply.
- Mobility is restricted at night from 10 pm to 6 am, except in the same cases and for the acquisition of pharmaceutical products and the care of pets (4 am to 6 am).
- Social gatherings are limited to a maximum of six people, and two bubble groups at the most. People are advised to limit any gatherings in enclosed spaces and to preferably meet outdoors.
- Commuting should be reduced as much as possible, with priority given to teleworking and flexible working hours.
- Capacity limited to 30%.
- Shopping centres and commercial establishments with more than 400 m2 of floor space (except shops of less than 400 m2 with direct street access) will be closed from 7 January
- Commercial establishments with less than 400 m2 of floor space will be closed at weekends.
- Only commercial establishments providing essential goods and services can open at weekends: chemist’s, supermarkets, veterinary centres, hairdressers, beauty parlours etc.
- Establishments must close at 9 pm at the latest.
- People can have breakfast on the premises between 7.30 am and 9.30 am, and lunch, between 1 pm and 3.30 pm.
- Indoor capacity, suitably ventilated, is limited to 30%, and 100% for terraces.
- Maximum of four people per table, except for stable bubble groups/households.
- Distances of 2 metres between tables.
- Takeaway services from 7 pm to 10 pm and home deliveries until 11 pm.
- Theatres, cinemas, auditoriums and concert halls can open with 50% of their usual spectator capacity, up to a maximum of 500 people. This may be increased to 1,000 people if the venue complies with extra ventilation and crowd control measures.
- Libraries, museums, exhibition venues and art galleries can open, with 50% capacity.
- Venues to close at 10 pm at the latest, with spectators allowed to return home after that time.
- Sports facilities in enclosed spaces must close, except for swimming pools, the use of which will be subject to special control.
- Face masks must be worn at all times.
- Open-air sport is allowed in groups of no more than six people, between adjacent municipalities.
- Non-professional sports competitions are still adjourned.
- These limitations do not affect sports technical perfection and performance centres and professional sports facilities.
Education and leisure for children and young people
- Theory classes to continue online at universities.
- Reduced face-to-face studies in post-compulsory education (baccalaureate, further and higher education courses)
- Extra-curricular activities only allowed at the same school and exclusively between bubble groups.
- Educational recreation activities for children and young people suspended.
Religious and civil ceremonies
- Venue capacities are reduced to 30%, up to a maximum of 500 people. In open-air spaces complying with extra ventilation this can rise to 1,000 people (without exceeding 30% capacity) providing extra ventilation, air quality and access measures are met.
- Nightlife venues are closed.
Amusment parks and fairs
- These remain closed.
Parks and gardens
- Parks and children’s play areas are closed from 8 pm to 7 am, and capacity is limited to 30%.
Congresses, conventions, trade fairs and local festivals
- On-site activities suspended.
- Amusement arcades, casinos and bingo halls all remain closed to the public.
Health and prevention measures
Suitable health and prevention measures must continue to be adopted in all spaces and for all activities, with safety distances between people guaranteed.
The measures have been published in Catalonia’s official state gazette DOGC.