Gale alert activatedGiven the strong winds, the City Council activated the alert stage of the basic emergency plan for gales on Tuesday, 17 January. Citizens are recommended to take extra care and avoid places which are exposed to winds. People are also reminded that the breakwaters at the beach are out of bounds and it is prohibited to enter the water while the red flag is flying, currently the case at all beaches. All parks in the city have been closed. The alert stage for rough seas has also been active since Monday afternoon.
From 1 pm yesterday (17 January) to 11 am today, the Barcelona Fire Brigade had been called out 113 times to provide services linked to the gales.
During gales, the following recommendations are issued:
- Avoid high places which are exposed to winds, such as terraces, scaffolding or similar.
- Remove plant pots and other objects which could fall from windowsills and balconies.
- Check antennas and air-conditioning units located outside the home.
- Make sure windows and doors are properly closed.
- Lower blinds and close awnings.
- It is advisable to keep clear of cornices, walls and trees which may fall.
- Extra caution when circulating next to buildings under construction or where work is being carried.
- Extra caution during activities outdoors.
- Caution with vehicles parked in the street. The wind can blow mopeds and elements of urban furniture over.
- Try to keep away from the beach. Gale force winds often cause tidal surges and high waves.
For full safety recommendations check the Barcelona Fire Service website.
Tags associated with the news item
Security and preventionSecurity and prevention
18/01/2023 20:47 h