The new city government presents its organisational structure at the first full council meetingThe 2019-2023 term of office is under way. The councillors elected in the local elections of 26 May will take their seats in the Saló Carles Pi i Sunyer for the first time on Tuesday 16 July. This first full council meeting will see the city government present its political structure, with municipal groups to vote on the composition of ordinary commissions for the full term of office. They will also have to agree on the dedication and pay of elected members and municipal representatives for the Àrea Metropolitana de Barcelona (AMB) and municipal companies.
New municipal government
The session to present the organisational structure is the first full council meeting to be held after the City Council for this term of office was constituted and the Mayor sworn in. According to municipal regulations, once the Mayor has signed the decrees setting out the organisational structure and the councillors named for various areas and posts, the city government must respond to municipal groups.
After a few weeks of negotiations between Barcelona en Comú and the Partit dels Socialistes de Catalunya (PSC), the Mayor, Ada Colau, and the head of the PSC group, Jaume Collboni, presented a left-wing agreement on 10 July which organises the municipal government into six main areas:
- First Deputy Mayor’s Office for Economy, Work, Competitiveness and Tax, headed by Jaume Collboni.
- Second Deputy Mayor’s Office for Ecology, Urban Planning, Infrastructures and Mobility, headed by Janet Sanz.
- Third Deputy Mayor’s Office for Agenda 2030, Digital Transformation, Sports and Territorial and Metropolitan Coordination, headed by Laia Bonet.
- Fourth Deputy Mayor’s Office for Social Rights and Feminism, headed by Laura Pérez.
- Fifth Deputy Mayor’s Office for Prevention and Safety, headed by Albert Batlle.
- Sixth Deputy Mayor’s Office for Culture, Education and Science, headed by Joan Subirats.
Agreements linked to the organisational structure
Besides the presentation of the executive structure, the meeting on Tuesday will vote on the following proposals relating to the functioning and representation of the City Council for the new term of office:
- The names and spheres of action for the municipal council commissions, as well as the presidency and vice-presidency of each of them.
- The naming of City Council representatives on the AMB and on the boards of wholly municipally owned companies and the Zona Franca Consortium.
- The dedication, pay, attendance and indemnification of elected members, in other words, councillors and district councillors.