Speeding fines now apply from the seventeen new fixed-point cameras to reduce accidentsBreaking the speed limit in the sections by the seventeen new cameras in the city will lead to fines as from 16 January. The different stages of the four-month information period are now over, having given people in the city the opportunity to know where the cameras are located and what the maximum speed limits are.
Twelve of the new speed cameras are near schools and five are at points regarded as posing a risk due to vehicles circulating at unsuitable speeds.
During September and part of October the new speed cameras were only activated to show drivers what speed they were travelling at. From mid-October until now, besides displaying speeds, notifications were generated to remind speeding drivers of the obligation to comply with the permitted limits.
Teams of information staff will be on hand in streets and underground car parks near the locations of the new speed cameras in the next two weeks, explaining to people that fines will apply from now on.
The measure forms part of the municipal commitment to boost road safety and responds to the goals set out in the Urban Mobility Plan (PMU) 2024 and the Barcelona Local Road Safety Plan 2019-2022.
Where are the new speed cameras?
There are twelve fixed-point speed cameras near schools, as part of the “Protecting Schools” programme (speed limit of 30 km/h):
- Numància (between Anglesola and Deu i Mata), Escola Ítaca and Escola Anglesola.
- Pau Claris (corner with Aragó).
- Mallorca (between Nàpols and Roger de Flor), Escola Dominiques.
- Mallorca (between Muntanya and Fontova), Escola Dovella.
- Trav. Gràcia (between Aribau and Alfons XII), Escola Infant Jesús.
- Indústria (between Sant Quintí and Conca), Escola Miralletes and Institut Moisès Broggi.
- Sant Antoni Maria Claret (between Trinxant and Guinardó), Escola Antoni Balmanya.
- Balmes (between Marià Cubí and Trav. Gràcia), Escola Pia.
- Balmes (between Francolí and Santjoanistes), Escola Poeta Foix.
- Entença (between Provença and Rosselló), Escola Xirinacs and Escola Entença.
- Sardenya (between Taxdirt and Trav. Gràcia), Escola de les Aigües.
- Muntaner (between Còrsega and Rosselló), Escola Sant Miquel.
The other five fixed-point speed cameras are in risk sections where the speed limit is 50 km/h, in the following locations:
- Aragó (between Comte d’Urgell and Casanova).
- Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes (by Sant Roc – Sant Germà).
- Av. Diagonal (between Pl. Pius XII and Palau de Pedralbes).
- Av. Diagonal (by Numància).
- Pg. Bonanova (intersection Via Augusta).