Not sure how Barcelona Cuida works, the services we offer or care-related matters? This section answers some frequently asked questions. If you can’t find what you’re looking for or you need further information, you can send us a query.

Questions about the service

You can call the centre on 93 413 21 21 from 8.15 am to 7 pm Monday to Friday.

You can drop in without an appointment during public opening hours (from 10 am to 1.30 pm and 3 pm to 6.30 pm from Monday to Friday hours and on the first weekend of every month from 4 pm to 7.30 pm on Saturdays.

You can also send your queries online by filling in this form.

No, the procedures for certification of a person's degree of dependency are handled directly by the Generalitat. The blog of most frequent procedures of the Services and Resources section of this website contains links to the website of each of the procedures related to the Dependency Act. You can also contact your neighbourhood Social Services Centre or the City Council's Dependency Services.

Benefits will be allocated once the degree of dependency has been certified.

No, the service does not handle the procedures for admission to care homes. The relevant application must be submitted to the offices of the Generalitat for this purpose. On this link you will find all the Social and Family Affairs offices.

No, at the centre we can guide you to where you can find these items, but we do not provide this service.

If so, email us at and we will get in touch with you.

Questions about carers

Most people are, or have been, carers at some point in their lives. If care is provided by relatives or people in the person’s environment there are no specific requirements beyond this family link, although we recommend that you attend one of the courses for non-professional carers provided by government bodies as they can help you do this work better and more confidently.

However, if care is provided for pay, the terms and conditions can be imposed by the contracting party (in the case of privately hired carers) or according to the legislation applicable to this sector (in the case of services provided by companies or organisations).

To be a professional carer, you must have medium level vocational training (expert in the care of dependent persons or qualifications related to the people to be cared for).

There are companies and organisations that provide these services, both directly and as intermediaries for hiring private carers. You can find this information in the Services and Resources section by entering the key word “employment” in the search engine.

For contracting purposes, professional carers are classified as "domestic workers" and are included in the General Scheme of the Social Security system via the establishment of a special system. Workers will have the right to the same Social Security benefits under the same terms and conditions as the general scheme, with the singularities set out in the regulations.

Although the contract can be oral or written, we recommend that you put it in writing to ensure that the terms and conditions (such as working hours, duration, salary, etc.) are clear. Workers contracted for less than 60 hours per month can register with the Social Security system themselves (if so agreed with the person hiring them). If the contract is for more than 60 hours a month, the person hiring them is responsible for this registration and for any changes that may arise in the Social Security system. For more information, see the guide Cuidem qui ens cuida, és de justícia!

The Government has regulated professional certificates, which provide access to the training required to be a professional carer, taking into account prior experience as well as previous studies even if they are in another field.

Several organisations in the city have created support or mutual help groups where carers can meet other people in similar situations and exchange experiences, support each other and build a help and contact network. You can find these groups in the Services and Resources section by entering “mutual help groups” in the search engine.

As an employee you have a set of rights and duties that must be respected.

Paid services provided in the family home are considered as domestic and care work. If you are doing this work you should know that by law:

  • Your employer must register you with the Social Security system and provide you with a contract.
  • You must receive monetary remuneration (a salary), which can never be below the minimum wage (SMI).
  • The maximum number of working hours allowed is 40 hours per week of actual work and 20 hours in attendance.
  • External employees must have at least 12 hours rest between working days.

If you are dismissed, you must be informed in writing and be paid the compensation due.

If you found your job through an employment agency or a temporary employment agency (ETT), the agency may not retain part of your salary.

For more information call Barcelona Care-Related Services or see the advice spaces on this matter available on our website.

Yes, you must register the worker with the Social Security system immediately they start work. The procedures you need to follow are simple. For more information call Barcelona Care-Related Services or see the advice spaces on this matter available on our website.

Questions about caring for the elderly, dependent people or people with disabilities or functional diversity

Either in the BCN Guide by searching for "social services", "day centres for elderly people” or “services for people with disabilities or functional diversity”, or by searching for “accommodation” or “residential care” in the Services and Resources section of this website. Information is also available at the Barcelona Social Services Consortium.

Either in the BCN Guide by searching for "social services", "homes for elderly people" or "services for people with disabilities or functional diversity", or by searching for “daytime care” in the Services and Resources section of this website. Information is also available at the Barcelona Social Services Consortium.

Yes, the Barcelona Social Services Consortium has a map of homes and day centres which also shows the available places and the number of people on the waiting list. The waiting list for each home or day centre is available at this website.  

If you contact Barcelona Care-Related Services, we will guide you to the services and organisations that can help you. There is also information about this in the Services and Resources section of this website if you search for "demència" or "carer families".

There is a service called "Respir" which provides residential care for people being cared for so that their carers can attend to unexpected matters or simply take a break.

The Respir Plus Service is a financial aid programme to help dependent elderly people spend a period in a private care home for the elderly. You can find all the information on this programme at this website.

Barcelona Provincial Council has a Respir Service for everybody in Barcelona Province, which can be accessed through social services centres.

You should go to the social work centre of the hospital where the person you look after is admitted and ask for guidance about their expected needs and possible support services, from social and healthcare centres for short stays to coordination with municipal social services to access other types of resources should you be unable to continue providing the care they will require on your own.

If the person's situation has changed to the point where you are no longer able to attend to their needs (for example, if they need more care or supervision or they need help doing activities they used to be able to do and you are unable to provide this help on your own), you should contact your neighbourhood Social Services Centre to ask for guidance on the services or benefits that may be of help to you to care for the family member you look after.

If the person cared for needs support to do basic activities and their degree of dependency has not been certified, you should start the procedures for this certification. This will also make it easier to access care services and benefits.

Questions about childcare

You can find all the information on municipal nursery school pre-enrolment on the nursery schools website.

From the 2018-2019 academic year, pre-enrolment can be done either in person at the nursery you want or online. On the website, you will find the criteria for the allocation of places and all the information for following the pre-enrolment and post-enrolment process, in addition to the list of municipal nurseries.

The pre-enrolment and enrolment process for infant and primary schools (from 3 to 12 years old) and secondary schools, which includes compulsory secondary education (from 12 to 16 years old) and post-compulsory education (baccalaureate and artistic or vocational training, from 16 years old) is regulated by the Generalitat de Catalunya, and in Barcelona it is managed by the Barcelona Education Consortium. On the website, you will find all the information on the process, from open days and information sessions for families to the requirements and score criteria for the allocation of places.

As a working mother or father you are entitled to a number of benefits when you have a baby. You are entitled to them whether you have had the child through pregnancy or through adoption or fostering.

Mothers and fathers are entitled to a period of rest and to a financial benefit that covers their salary during this period. This benefit is covered by the National Social Security Institute (INSS) and represents 100% of the person's salary.

Rest periods are different for the mother and father (or for each parent in the case of same-sex couples):

  • Mothers (or the primary parent in the case of same-sex couples) are entitled to 16 weeks of uninterrupted rest. This can be extended in a number of situations (multiple births, adoption or fostering or if the baby is disabled or hospitalised).
  • Fathers (or the other parent) are entitled to an 12-week break without interruption (as from 1 january 2020). Four weeks will have to be taken after your child’s birth and the remaining eight during within their first year of life. The period can be also lengthened in the case of a birth, adoption or multiple fostering, disability or hospitalisation of the newborn baby.

For more information on benefits, the various types of leave of absence from work, the conditions for qualifying for them, the documents to be submitted and any other information, including any updates in this area, go to this website.

For more information on maternity benefit, go to this section of the Social Security website.

For more information on paternity benefit, go to this section of the Social Security website

You are entitled to request a leave of absence to look after your child provided they are under 12 years old. This also applies to foster children and to caring for other professionals.

You can find all the information on the Social Security website using the following route: Home / Workers / Benefits/Pensions for Workers / Family benefits / Non-economic benefit for caring for your child, a fostered minor or another family member, or in this link

Share this content