European citizenship

Europe map

If you are a citizen of the European Union, of a European Economic Area country (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) or Switzerland, you are entitled to travel and reside freely in any European Union country. Therefore, you can come and live in Barcelona with any problems.

If you want to live in Barcelona for more than three months, you must register as a resident in Spain. When you do, you will receive a certificate, commonly called the green NIE due to its colour. 

Consult the formalities in this section:

We will tell you how to process it below:

Certificate of registration as an EU national (compulsory)

Green NIE

If you have a non-EU relative, that is, a national of a country outside the EU, EEA or Switzerland, your relative can apply for residency to live with you in Barcelona as follows:

Residence card for family members of European Union nationals

Targeta familiar