The education system
Education in Catalonia and Spain is compulsory for children aged 6 to 16. A child's school year is determined by their year of birth.
The education system in Catalonia is divided into stages and cycles:
- Pre-school education
- First cycle (0 to 3 years)
- Second cycle (3 to 6 years)
- Primary education (6 to 12 years, compulsory): with six school years divided into three two-course cycles:
- Initial cycle
- Intermediate cycle
- Upper cycle
- Compulsory secondary education (ESO, which stands for Educació secundària obligatòria) (from 12 to 16 years): with four school years.
- Post-compulsory studies:
- Intermediate and upper-grade educational cycles (vocational training)
- University studies
Below you will find more information about education: