What do you need to know?
There is a card valid for all public libraries in Barcelona, which is also valid for the rest of the public library network in Catalonia.
The card is free, personal and non-transferable, it identifies citizens as users of the public library network in Catalonia.
The card allows you to make use of all the libraries' services, including:
- Looking up and taking out books, magazines, CDs, videos, DVDs and CD-ROMs.
- Access to electronic databases, the Internet, Wi-Fi network and use of computers and audiovisual devices.
- Lending documents from the library itself or from other libraries of the network.
- BiblioDigital platform digital content lending service.
- Photocopying service.
- Cultural and reading promotion activities.
The card also offers discounts at establishments promoting cultural activities and services in Barcelona and throughout Catalonia: bookstores, museums, theatres, cinemas, etc.
It is a physical card, but you can have it in your mobile phone if you download the Biblioteques XBM app.
Who does it apply to?
It applies to anyone who is interested in enjoying the services offered by the public libraries network in Catalonia.
The use of the card by individuals under 18 years of age is the responsibility of the parent or parents, or legal guardians, who must exert the necessary control.
What requirements must be met?
To reside in Catalonia and having an identity document:
- Spanish national identity document (DNI)
- Certificate of registration as an EU national
- Identity card for foreign nationals (TIE)
- Identity number for foreign nationals (NIE)
- Driving licence
In the case of children under 14 years of age, an authorisation must be provided by the parent, parents or legal guardians. This authorisation enables minors to use all of the services, including Internet access.
How long is it valid for?
The card only expires if it is not used in five years.
What do you need to do?
It is a very easy formality to complete. You can apply at any time online (if you are 14 years of age or older) or in person.
What steps must you follow?
- Fill in the application form. It is only valid for people who request the card for the first time and who are 14 years of age or older.
- Once the personal details have been filled in and validated, you have a maximum of three months to go to any library to pick up your card.
- In the meantime, the system will provide you with a provisional card number with which you will have access to content and digital services that require user validation.
When you go to pick up the card, you will have to prove your identity by presenting the original of your identity document.
- Go to any library and fill in the application with your personal details.
- For people under 14 years of age, a signed authorization from the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) is also required. The authorization form must be completed in the library.
- You will get the card on the spot.
How long does it take?
Online: once the application is made, you have a maximum of three months to go to any library to pick up your card.
In person: on the spot.
How much does it cost?
The card is completely free.
If you lose your card, or want to request a duplicate, you need to pay the cost of issue, which is €1. If it is stolen, the duplicate is free of charge as long as you have reported the theft.
Want to know more?
Body is responsible for the formality
Barcelona Libraries Consortium (Barcelona City Council).
You can use the link to the official Barcelona Libraries Consortium website (available in English, Catalan and Spanish).
MésBiblioteques electronic newsletter subscription service (in Catalan).
Important linked procedures
If you would like to apply for the public libraries card, you must get an identification number beforehand, which, depending on the case, can be acquired via the following: