Obtaining a Social Security Number (NUSS)
What do you need to know?
It is the procedure by which the social security number (NUSS) is obtained. That number identifies the individual in his or her dealings with the social security system.
Social security is a public system of protection against situations of illness, disability, unemployment, old age, accidents at work, maternity or loss of the family's means of support.
It is a compulsory formality for all citizens who wish to start working for the first time, whether as employees or as self-employed individuals, and, therefore, do not yet have the number.
Obtaining the number is a preliminary step for registering with Social Security and this can be done directly by employer companies or citizens.
Your social security number (NUSS) will become your affiliation number once you begin an employment relationship.
What requirements must be met?
- Not having previously obtained a social security number in Spain.
- Having Spanish national identity document (DNI) or identity number for foreign nationals (NIE) or:
- If you are a citizen of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you can apply with just your passport. However, you may be asked later for your foreign-national identification number (NIE) to validate the application. In that case, you will have to fill in the form again to amend the details and present your NIE. To save yourself the bother of having to fill in the form again later on to provide your NIE, we recommend you apply for an NIE in advance. Your employer can also provide your NIE through the Social Security RED System.
- If you are a non-EU citizen, you can carry out the procedure with your passport, accompanied by the resolution on the residence and work permit in Spain. Remember that you will subsequently have to process your identity card for foreign nationals (TIE) if you are going to reside in Spain for more than six months. Social Security may subsequently require you to provide your NIE to validate your request.
How long is it valid for?
It does not expire.
What do you need to do?
You can obtain the social security number electronically.
What steps must you follow?
STEP 1: Choose your method of identification
- In order to do your application online, you are advised to first obtain a digital certificate. To find out about the procedure for obtaining a digital certificate, go to the information on the procedure which gives details on how to obtain it.
- If you do not have a digital certificate but you do have a Spanish national identification document (DNI) or an identity number for foreign nationals (NIE), you can gain access by sending a text message which includes your ID number, date of birth and mobile number.
STEP 2: Go to the Social Security website
- Select the options "Citizens > Affiliation and registration > Request the Social Security Number> “Obtener acceso" to start the application.
- You will access the Social Security Importass portal, on the “Apply for Social Security Number” page. Select the “Apply for Social Security Number” option
- Identify yourself with your “DNI or certificate” selecting your digital certificate, if you have one. If you do not have a digital certificate, you can access the procedure by text message. In that case, you will be sent a security code in a text message which you will then need to enter for accessing the procedure.
STEP 3: Fill in the standard application form and attach the required documentation
- Follow the steps indicated on the website and provide all the information and documentation requested.
- The different screens will allow you to select and fill in the details, which will depend on the options you choose.
- You must obtain and fill in the application form (form TA1).
- It is advisable to have prepared certain details that may be required during the application:
- Contact details: mobile phone and e-mail.
- Identity documents
STEP 4: Obtain a social security number
- You will receive notification with your NUSS.
STEP 5: Before you start working, remember to register with the social security system
- If you are an employee, it will be your employer who has to apply for your registration with Social Security in advance and formalise, where appropriate, the corresponding employment contract in writing.
- If you are self-employed, you will need to apply in advance for your registration with Social Security. In that case, remember you will also need to register with the Tax Office.In order to find out about these linked procedures, consult the information on the formality, which contains all the details.
Who can submit the application?
- The application must be submitted by the individuals concerned. A third party may apply for your social security number, provided they provide an authorisation signed by you.
- If you are going to be an employee, your future employer will be able to apply for a social security number for you through the Social Security RED system.
What documentation is needed?
- Standard application form TA1, signed by the person concerned.
- Your identification document.
How long does it take?
You will receive notification of the decision sometime between 48 hours and 10 days. Once that deadline has passed, the request will be understood as accepted.
What does it cost?
The application is free of charge.
Want to know more?
Body responsible for the formality
The General Treasury of the Social Security System (Government of Spain).
You can also consult the official Social Security website (available in English, French, Catalan, Spanish and other co-official languages of the Spanish state).