Residence permit for intra-company transfer

Updated 10/2021

Permit to reside and work, valid throughout the national territory, for the purposes of an intra-company transfer.

  • What do you need to know?
  • What do you need to do?

The FEE is € 72.53 (the amount is borne by the company)

The  initial permit will be VALID for a maximum of TWO YEARS

The application must be made PRIOR to obtaining a VISA or IF YOU ARE ALREADY IN SPAIN LEGALLY

The COMPANY SUBMITS the application file

What is it?

This is the document that entitles a worker to live and work in Spain if the foreign company for which they work has moved him or her to another Spanish company in the same business group or to a Spanish company with which they can prove that they have a close business relationship. This document must be obtained by foreign nationals from outside the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. 

The permit is requested by the company or entity that receives the foreign national in Spain, or someone representing that company and having the due accreditation.

  • If the citizen is outside Spain, this authorisation is an indispensable requirement in order to apply for and obtain the corresponding national entry visa entitling entry into Spain to begin an employment relationship.
  • If the citizen is in Spanish territory legally, only a permit to reside and work in the territory has to be obtained.

In both cases, it is also possible to request, jointly or retrospectively, residence permit for the worker's family members. 

The duration of the authorisation will be the same as the duration of the transfer and, as a general rule, will not exceed two years, renewable for further periods of two years if the conditions which gave rise to the transfer are maintained. However, transfers for certain job categories have a maximum duration which determines the validity of the permit or the possibility of renewing:

  • In the case of workers in training, the duration is one year.
  • In the case of managers and specialists, the maximum duration of the transfer is three years. 

Important information

Intra-company transfers occur when a worker is assigned to a different workplace in the same company or group of companies and doing so requires a change residence (it is also allowed when it can be shown that there is a close business link - provision of services - between two companies, even if they are not in the same group). 

You can also consult the Government of Spain's Immigration Portal (available only in Spanish), the Invest in Spain website (available in English, Spanish and Chinese) and the information sheet for intra-company transfers (available in English, Russian, Chinese, Portuguese and Spanish)

Why do you have to apply for it?

Obtaining it is essential to prove the acquired right to reside and work in Spanish territory, for people who are not from the EU, the EEA or Switzerland.

Who does it apply to?

It applies to persons from outside the EU, the EEA or Switzerland who travel to Spain because of an intra-company transfer.

Who has to apply for it?

The application must be made by the company or entity that receives the foreign citizen.

What requirements must be met?

To apply for the permit, both the employee and the company must meet certain requirements.

Employee requirements
  • Not being in an irregular situation in Spanish territory.
  • Being at least 18 years of age.
  • Having no criminal record in Spain and in the countries where you have resided during the last five years.
  • Not being forbidden to enter Spain or being listed as liable to be refused entry in the territorial area of countries with which Spain has signed an agreement to that effect.
  • Having a university degree or equivalent or, where appropriate, at least three years' professional experience.
  • Having a prior and continuous three-month employment or professional relationship with one or more of the companies in the group.
Company requirements
  • That the company or business group can prove the existence of a real business activity
  • ​Proof that the transfer is between two companies of the same group or between two companies that have signed an agreement for the provision of services. 
  • Documenting the social security cover, including health cover, of the worker, by means of a certificate of cover (if there is a social security agreement between Spain and the issuing country) or by appointing a representative who is responsible for the worker's contributions (if there is no agreement).  
  • Documentation from the company confirming the conditions of the transfer.  
  • Paying the fee for processing the permit.
Which body is responsible for the formality?

Unidad de Grandes Empresas y Colectivos Estratégicos (UGE) (Large Companies and Strategic Groups Unit). Government of Spain.

What advice and suggestions could help you?
  • If, at the time of application, you are outside Spain, you will have to request a national entry visa in order to enter Spain once your residence permit for intra-company transfer has been granted
  • Your family members may accompany you on your trip and they may jointly or at a later stage apply for a permit or visa. This condition applies to:
    • Spouse or unmarried partner
    • Children who are minors, or who are of legal age, and who are financially dependent on the holder
    • Dependent relatives in the ascending line
What other linked formalities should you know about?

What do you need to do?


The company or entity that receives you is in charge of carrying out the procedure to obtain the permit.

Remember that your family members can accompany you on your trip and that they will be able to apply for a permit, together with your application for authorisation or at a later date.

What steps must you take to apply for the permit?

The company applies for the residence permit

he host company or entity must apply for a residence permit for intra-company transfer. This application is processed in the Large Companies and Strategic Collectives Unit in Spain

Check the documents required and get them ready to facilitate the issue of the permit for the company

  • When documents issued in a language other than Spanish are provided, they must be translated, by means of a sworn translation, into Spanish
  • All foreign public documents must be legalised beforehand, except where the document in question has had an apostille certificate attached by the competent authority of the issuing country.
    • In the case of standard EU forms, neither their translation nor their legalisation will be necessary, in accordance with the provisions of the EU regulations that relate to them.

It is important for you to know that the public documents issued in your country of origin which are necessary to complete formalities for coming to Barcelona must comply with international legalisation requirements.

There are two methods of international legalisation of a public document, depending on whether or not the country issuing the document is a signatory to the Hague Convention of 5 October 1961:

  • If the country issuing the public document is a signatory, the document will be recognised if it bears the Hague Apostille stamp. This stamp will be processed in the country of origin.
  • If the country issuing the public document is not a signatory, then the legalisation process will be carried out through diplomatic channels.

In addition, any documents issued in a language other than Spanish must be translated by means of sworn translation. In the case of standard EU forms, neither translation nor legalisation is required. 

For more information on the translation and legalisation of documents, please consult the relevant website.

Employee documentation
  • Full copy of his or her passport with minimum validity of one year and at least two blank pages.
  • Criminal record certificate from the countries where the employee has resided for the last five years.
  • Updated curriculum vitae.
  • Documentation providing evidence of the citizen’s degree-level or equivalent qualification (legalised, translated and recognised) or certification of at least three years’ professional experience.
  • Proof of a prior and continuous employment or professional relationship of at least three months preceding the application, with one or more companies in the group.
Company documentation
  • Documentation that proves the transfer.
  • Documentation that proves the relationship with Social Security and health insurance if the worker is not going to have public health coverage.
  • Prove of the existence of a real business activity, and where appropriate, that of the business group.
If you are outside Spain, apply for your visa

If you are outside Spain at the time of submitting the application, once the permit has been approved you must apply for a visa in order to be able to enter Spain.

In order to find out about the procedure for obtaining the visa, consult the information on the formality, which contains all the details on how to obtain it.

Receive the resolution notification

Within a period of twenty to thirty days a decision will be made regarding your residence permit for intra-company transfers. 

To notify you, you will receive the status of the application through the email indicated at the time of registration of the application. 

Entry into Spain

Remember that once you are in Spain, depending on your profile, you may need to complete the following formalities: